Long time no blog!
I'm in the full swing of my vegan experiment now. It's going well, so far. I have loads of energy, and I don't feel nearly as hungry as I would normally :) Here are two recipes that I have loved the past few days, and they're both reasonably low fat!
1/4-1/2 (depending on whether it's a side or the whole meal) pack of Cauldron Tofu
Any Asian spice mix- eg 5 spice, 7 spice
1/4 tbsp vegetable oil
1) Drain and pat the tofu dry. Cut into bite size chunks.
2) Put the tofu into a bowl, adding the shoyu (as much as you like, be careful not to use too much as it is very high in salt!), spice mix and oil
3) Mix and leave to marinade for about half an hour
4) Fry the tofu on a mid-high heat, turning frequently, until it is browned and crispy on the outside. Enjoy with greens, rice, or on its' own as a light meal!
Mexican Vegetable Soup
Tin chopped tomatoes
Cabbage (pull some off, I used about two handfuls)
One corn cob, with the kernels cut off (as in, use the kernels :p)
Tin kidney beans, drained
Soy Yoghurt (optional)
Other veg (today, for example, my mum brought me home a handful of fresh pea pods which I shelled and put in!)
Vegetable stock (I made up some using Swiss Bouillon
1) In a saucepan, bring the stock to a boil
2) Add the corn (and any peas if using) and beans. Cook for about 1-2 minutes
3) Add the cabbage (torn roughly) and bring the soup to a slight simmer
4) Add the cayenne and bbq sauce- be very liberal with the cayenne, unless you like a proper kick! Simmer for 10 minutes, until the cabbage is tender and the soup is heated through
5) If it is too spicy, add the yoghurt 1/2 tbsp at a time, tasting after each.